Pages

Monday, December 26, 2022

Fun With the EP-2 Fat Tire E-Bike

Just doing what I do, traveling

As a travel writer, I travel. That’s what I do, visiting many varied places during those times when I am out and about. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of large cities and sometimes, other times, as I prefer, in the hinterlands of a desert landscape or on mountain paths. 

Traveling the byways, as I do, I am always cognizant of my mode of transportation. Will I need 4-wheel drive to get to a ghost town? Will I need to bring hiking equipment to climb to a vista point? Getting to out-of-the-way places can sometimes be a challenge.

So when I was contacted by ENGWE, manufacturer of various models of folding e-bikes, to see if I would be interested in testing and reviewing the EP-2 Pro Fat Tire Folding Mountain E-Bike, I jumped at the chance.




I had already been planning a trip across the Mojave Desert in Southern California and what better place to put this bike through some serious trials with soft sand, hard packed trails, steep terrain, and all the rest which makes this desert a formidable place for the adventurer?

I advised the marketing rep to send the bike as though it had just been purchased by a customer. It arrived in a large cardboard box delivered to my residence.

What impressed me from the start was the way in which it was packaged. Styrofoam comforted every inch of the bike. There was not one scratch or damaged piece to be seen. It was a unique experience not to have to think of returning a damaged item.

The directions which came with the bike were clear and concise. It took a little more than a half hour to make the bike complete.

A tool kit was supplied which was useful for attaching the front and rear metal fenders, the rear rack, the front and rear lights, and everything else that needed to be attached or tightened.

Folding the bike was simple, a lever in the middle of the frame resulted in the bike folding nearly perfectly in two while another lever on the front allowed the handlebars to fold in, making it easy to load the bike into the rear of a vehicle. The bike fit perfectly in the rear section of my Toyota FJ, with room to spare.

No issues in carrying this E-Bike

The bike does weigh 74 lbs., which puts it at the top of most electric bikes but considering it is for rough riding, the weight should not be a factor in decision making.

The EP-2 Pro has a 960W Peak brushless gear motor, a 48V13ah Lithium Battery, 20” inch fat tires attached to a 20” folding aluminum alloy frame, disc brakes, iron leg shock absorbing front shocks, Shimano derailer, an easy-to-read 48v LCD screen on the handlebars, and so much more. 

The top speed is rated at 28mph but when running on smooth pavement I was able to reach 31mph. 

There are five levels of peddle assist for the EP-2 Pro and all kick in when certain peddling speeds are reached by the bicyclist.

Running through each assist level, I noticed a distinctive pull as the bike kicked into gear and felt confident that this e-bike would take me pretty much anywhere I was willing to attempt.

Laureen also enjoyed the EP-2 Pro

The seven-speed Shimano derailer with the convenient set-up on the right handlebar was easy to use and mastered in only a few moments. Shifting was fast, smooth, and kept in the sprocket no matter the ground I was traveling over or how I may have manually shifted the peddle assist in various locales.

Distance is rated at 50 miles, depending on speed and terrain. One afternoon the bike took me over a little more than twenty-five miles over rough desert roads. There were still a couple of bars left on the battery indicator, so this e-bike is good for at least 35 miles or more with an average sized rider atop it – again, depending on the traveling surface.

Overall, the EP-2 was more than I had expected. Great looks with its rugged black exterior, handling any terrain I put to it and appearing ready for any adventure.

For the price of roughly $1,000 makes this outdoor E-Bike more than reasonable for anyone wishing to pursue the great outdoors, be that city or country.

In all transparency, I was not paid for this review, now work for ENGWE, but was offered a chance to test it - and I did. It was fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment