Pages

Monday, May 22, 2023

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is just around the corner - the unofficial start of summer, but what can not be lost is the meaning of this very special day and who it commemorates. 

We at, J and L Research believe this remembrance should be year round - not just destined for one day each year.

The name Memorial Day would not be used until After World War I. Prior to that, the day honoring all those who had perished while serving in the United States Military was known as Decoration Day. It was started during the Civil War.

It was a day when citizens would place flowers on the graves of the brave men and women who had given up their lives while fighting for the freedom and very soul of this nation.

After World War I, the day was designated as Memorial Day, to honor all those who had died in all wars being fought in the name of the United States.

John Adams once stated - "Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."

So many lives have been lost to uphold what our founding Fathers desired. A homeland that welcomes all, gives opportunities for all, and respects all, no matter our individual backgrounds or places of origin.

During a recent outing, while researching for my weekly Beyer's Byways column, I ran across a gentleman by the name of Ray.

Ray had escaped China and obtained his immigration papers in 2014. He became a United States Citizen in 2021.

"I am so proud," he told me. "To be a citizen in the most free country in all the world. You know, my friends who are still in China wear baseball caps that have Los Angeles on them. They all want to join me in this land of the free."

I simply nodded.

"You know," Ray continued. "We do not have freedoms in China like you have here."

"I know," I responded.

And on this Memorial Day, let's all bow our heads and give thanks for those soldiers of all branches who willing gave their lives to allow us the chance to live in this wonderful country. 

A country that the likes of Ray choose to live in.




No comments:

Post a Comment